Sunday, May 23, 2010

Are Elidel and Protopic safe?

A mother asked me 2 days ago about the safety of Elidel and Protopic, because of a story in the media.  I am not aware of the story, but I am aware of the issue.  These two medications are indicated for the treatment of eczema or atopic dermatitis for children from age 2 years old and on up.  There was a concern about users of these medications being at higher risk for lymphoma.  There is no proof of this.  If you want further information, please read the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology with the American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology's Report.  The American Academy of Dermatology agreed, although I can't find an online version of the report, only this reference.  I use these products when indicated for my patients.
Your Allergy Dude

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They probably had the recent FDA report in mind:

http://allergynotes.blogspot.com/2010/03/fda-46-new-cancer-cases-in-children.html

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE62H2NZ20100318

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.
 
My Zimbio Medicine Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory