Thursday, March 18, 2010

An old cough medicine repackaged: chlophedianol

I was recently given information on a product called Clofera, which contains chlophedianol 12.5 mg and pseudoephedrine 30 mg.  Clofera is indicated for reduction of cough.  I have never heard of chlophedianol before, so of course I had to read up.  There were only 2 studies describing cough and chlophedianol on PubMed.  Only one study had an abstract; the other did not.  The abstract did not find chlophedianol to be particularly effective at reducing cough.  A google search listed a citation by the FDA in 1987, where the compound was allowed to go over-the-counter.  This speaks to its safety, not efficacy, when given in doses every 4 to 6 hours, not to exceed 4 doses in 24 hours.  By the way, the same monograph found that dextromethorphan 20 mg and codeine 20 mg were equally effective and superior to placebo.  I didn't know that they had been studied comparatively.  Back to the main track, I also reviewed a paper from 1960 examining chlophedianol's effectiveness in rabbits.  It worked by decreasing the volume of mucus secretions.  Chlophedianol is available in 1 product to my knowledge, Clofera with a prescription.  The mechanism is central acting, non-narcotic antitussive.  As to its effectiveness, I can't speak yet, because I haven't seen enough patients who have taken Clofera.  In my search for a safe and effective cough relief medicine, there may be some relief in sight.
More data to follow from your Allergy Dude....

No comments:

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.
 
My Zimbio Medicine Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory