Monday, December 31, 2012

Drug Update: New Medications 2012



1.             ProAir HFA will begin to become available with a counter for the number of doses of albuterol remaining located in the actuator during January of 2013.
2.             I have had an opportunity to try Dymysta.  I found it effective and to not having the burning postnasal drip I experienced with Astelin.
3.             Combivent Respimat will replace Combivent inhalers.  The new device does not use a propellent.
4.             Sanofi will launch a new product named Auvi-Q for delivering epinephrine subcutaneously for anaphylaxis.  This has a recording to guide its use which will be activated when the cover is removed.  The cost has not been announced yet.  Insurance coverage during the first year will not likely be good.  For comparison, Epi-pen 2-pack retails for $309 at CVS, when I checked last week.  My inspection showed a well designed product.
5.             Consumers may have noticed when they go to pick up Singulair at the drug store or receive mail order, they are given its generic montelukast.
6.             Gastrocrom is an oral preparation of cromolyn sodium and is indicated for mastocytosis.   This is a disease where mast cells release histamine in potentially fatal amounts.  The cost for a group of 96 unit dose ampules ranges from $459-1,000. I did not know the cost previously.
7.      Aerospan is flunisolide HFA 80 mcg and indicated for "maintenance treatment of asthma as prophylactic therapy in adult and pediatric patients 6 years of age and older".  This Forest Pharmaceutical product was approved 1/26/06 by the FDA.  The label change was approved on 11/16/12.  No word currently from the new owner Action Pharmaceuticals.
8.     Tudorza is an orally inhaled dry powder of aclidinium which was approved by the FDA on 7/23/2012.  Aclidinium inhibits the M3 receptor so it is classified as an antimuscarinic, which are in turn grouped as anticholinergic.  This compound produces long-acting bronchodilation in patients with COPD.  Tudorza has not been launched yet.
9.     Generic Clarinex (desloratadine) was approved during the summer.  I just got confirmation from some patients that this given to them for refills, not the name brand.  Even recently, insurance companies have been pushing back to have the patient switched to a generic medication.  Note this means that there no oral name-brand only antihistamines available by either OTC or prescription now.
10.    Flucelvax is the first vaccine approved that uses a mammalian cell line not chicken eggs to grow the influenza virus.  Flucelvax was approved on 11/20/12 for both types A & B in patients >18 years old.

The Allergy Dude wishes you a Happy New Year!!

12 comments:

Liam Manning said...

I've been trying to figure more out about allergy in Auburn. My wife has a lot of allergies and I want to help out. What would you suggest?

asthmaticpeople.blogspot.com said...

very informative to us.. asthma seems to be chronic disease that is why need treated as soon as possible

nahidworld said...

very nice and helpful post of Hay fever .

brain guru said...

Thanks for your informative suggestion about Product Doctors.

Aaron Banks said...

Thanks so much for posting this. I don't know what I would do without you. I would honestly die. We don't even have an allergy doctor in Richmond so I think these allergies would be the death of me for sure.

Wayne Parker said...

My sister has severe allergies, and she needs some help from allergy treatment in idaho. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help!

John smith said...

I am John Smith. I was suffering from severe chronic asthma since many years. I consulted many doctors but in vain. Recently, one of my friend gave me a reference of this society specially dedicated to the patients suffering from asthma, Columbus Asthma Society. I consulted their main doctor Dr. Summit Shah and now I am recovering rapidly owing to their allergy shots. I would strongly recommend you guys to check Columbus Asthma Society and get the best treatment for all asthma related problems.

Reference: ColumbusAsthma.com

John Howard said...

I found out that I have an allergy. I wasn't feeling good for so long and so I went to the doctor to figure it out. He told me to keep track of what I eat every day and we found a common thread and now I'm feeling a lot better. http://www.allergypartners.com/fredericksburg/sitepages/Allergist.aspx

Gary Puntman said...

My daughter has a lot of allergies. We have to be very careful about what we give her to eat. I'm so glad that there are these medications just in case something happens. I love how many new developments are always being made as well.
Gary Puntman | http://www.bvaac.com/Severe-Allergic-Reactions/severe-allergic-reaction-anaphylaxis.html

Wally West said...

Our son recently participated in a scavenger hunt and was overcome with his asthma(almost had to go to the emergency room). It's always terrifying being a parent that has a child that is having trouble breathing and there is nothing you can do about it. It's a terrible feeling, being utterly helpless.

http://regionalallergycenter.com/

lalita Chauhan said...

Good blog post about Asthma thanks for valuable info.Its helpful for health reader.

Asthma Treatment at New York

Xing Tingkai said...

Hi ,

I created a website (http://www.asthmanatural.com/) to help people with asthma so they can deal with it better.
I know it's tough as i have seen how bad it can be. Therefore, i want to help them as much as i can.

If you like to help the asthma community and participate in a link exchange, I would be happy to do so!
Please check my website out:http://www.asthmanatural.com/
I hope it helps. Thank you so much.

Cheers,
Xing Tingkai

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.
 
My Zimbio Medicine Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory