Addendum: (4/23/11). The Allergy Dude apologizes, but he tried for 3 hours yesterday night to make the best chart of topical steroids available on the entire internet. However, the ghosts in the machine kept messing up the chart and have won. So I would like to make some points.
1. Lotions contain alcohol and are drying. Creams are a mixture of water and oil and the most preferred. Ointments are oil-based. Potency increases as more oil is used, because the oil helps the medicine penetrate into the deeper skin where it has more effect.
2. Foam, mousse, and shampoos are usually used on the scalp.
3. Solutions and gels are like lotions.
4. The table above is not complete. There are other steroids that are: available in outside of the U.S. or simply not listed.
5. Class 1 are up to 600x more potent than Class 7.
6. After much digging, the FDA has defined topical dosage forms.