Sunday, September 26, 2010

Can vaccines cause autism?

Two days ago, a mother of 3 kids asked me what I thought vaccines causing autism?  It turns out that she had read articles on the internet stating that data supporting the position that vaccines containing thimerosal can cause autism was being suppressed.  She had not allowed any of her kids to be vaccinated.  This entry is for her and the many other parents who have asked me the same great and very important question.  (This is an update to an entry 2/19/09.)

There is NO proof that vaccines cause autism.  I shall provide references from: Master Hastings in Federal Claims Court, the Institute of Medicine, the World Health Organization, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the National Institute of Health, and the American Academy of Pediatrics.  There are other solid references.  The story is detailed on Wikipedia nicely.

Meanwhile, there is proof that we all get vaccinated, there is protection from your individual immune response as well as herd immunity.  My family, meaning my 4 kids, spouse, and I, have all been vaccinated per the CDC guidelines.  By the way, this includes the Gardisil vaccine for all 3 of my daughters, to protect against Human Papilloma Virus and potential subsequent cancer.  I hope this answers where I stand.
Your Allergy Dude

No comments:

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.
 
My Zimbio Medicine Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory