Thursday, July 22, 2010

What does the "Organic label" mean on foods?

I support having an organic diet, as many of my patients and coworkers know.  However, when I decided to learn the strict definition of "organic" food per the U.S. government, I went on another goose chase.  Here are the results.
A search will get you to this government page on "Organic Food."  The orginal bill was passed in 1990.  Go down to paragraph label "3." for the definition of organic.  I like it.  Unfortunately, it's always something.  There are FOUR different levels of organic foods and these may be reflected in the labels.  The gold standard, top level states "100% organic."  Look out for it, since use of the label is optional technically, although it wouldn't be clear to me why a manufacturer would go through all the trouble to produce 100% organic food and then not use the label.  I'm going to read my labels more thoroughly, especially my produce.
I hope you learned something too.
Your Allergy Dude.
This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.
 
My Zimbio Medicine Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory