Sunday, November 8, 2009

Hot inquiries last week November 06, 2009

Here are the top 5 inquiries I fielded for this week:

1. Swine flu! Should I or my child get it? Yes. This vaccine is made the same way that regular influenza vaccines are made. The H1N1 vaccine is beneficial and as safe as the regular influenza vaccine.


2. Where can I get it? Ask your local public health department. In SC, check here.


3. Are you getting it? Yes, if it ever becomes available for adults. Worldwide supply problems and prioritizing children, then adolescents, then adults will greatly delay when I can actually get vaccinated. I want my 4 kids to get vaccinated too.


4. What's in the air now causing my sinuses to act up? Mold spores, dust mites, dry air inside buildings, viruses, weather changes, not pollen. I supervise the pollen counts at our office, which is the only certified pollen counting station by the National Allergy Bureau in South Carolina. Counts can be viewed here. The factors above are not insignificant.


5. What can be done about them? They can be countered in the following ways:
keep the humidity about 30-50%, temperatures 70-74 degrees, wash all bedding in hot water once per week, use saline rinses and water gargles at least 2x/day, more if ill..

No comments:

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.
 
My Zimbio Medicine Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory