Sunday, October 18, 2009

Where to get Swine Flu Vaccinations in South Carolina, Update 34

S.C. DHEC has stated it plans to start giving vaccinations for Swine Flu at a "variety of locations (health departments, school,s day care facilties, etc.) throughout the state."  The exact dates and locations are not available as yet.  I'd like to share these links Carolina Flu Finder and DHEC Flu Clinic Finder from ther SC DHEC website.  Note the former has a column on the right most which specifies if the vaccinations are specifically for swine flu.  To date, the answer is uniformly no.

If you are interested in reading about the flu pandemic of 1918, to which swine flu was originally being compared, then may I recommend "The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History," by John M. Barry.  I read this with great interest.  This is unsolicited.  The book reads well.

And what does this have to do about allergies?  Directly nothing, but indirectly at least my patients with asthma may be at risk for worse than average exacerbation.  I have not read anything in my surfing through the web-o-sphere or medical journals to indicate that the risk from the swine flu vaccine is any greater than from any othe influenza vaccine.  I have had to address this issue with about 75% of the patients I saw on Friday.  My recommendation: get the swine flu vaccination, unless you think there is some specific reason not to, and then discuss your decision with your doctor.  That's the "Allergy Dude's" latest words on swine flu vaccination.

No comments:

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.
 
My Zimbio Medicine Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory