Saturday, April 25, 2009

Possible Swine Flu Epidemic

The flu season is NOT over. The Obama administration has declared a public health state of emergency, because of a potentially lethal variant of human swine flu. Twenty cases in 5 states have been confirmed. In Mexico, over eighty people have reportedly died from this flu. Mexico has also declared a public emergency. The currently available vaccine is said not to be protective of this variant. Authorities at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are trying to determine if this variant is sensitive to currently available antivirals. The symptoms are normal for flu, including fatigue, headache, vomiting, and fever greater than 101.0 F.

What would I recommend? I am washing my hands, my uniforms, and my medical equipment frequently. If I suspect I am exposed to someone with flu, I am trying to confirm via testing if they have influenza (type A). I am rinsing my nose and sinuses right after seeing patients like this. If you have the option, I would use a N95 mask. Please take these preventative steps.

More details to follow, as I learn about them from the
CDC and the World Health Organization.

No comments:

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.
 
My Zimbio Medicine Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory