Tuesday, January 20, 2009

What is Balloon Sinuplasty and Do I Recommend It?

A patient asked me about having balloon sinuplasty today. I attended an information session to learn about the procedure about 2 months ago. Some patients have sinus problems because the openings to their sinuses are too narrow or closed. This blocks mucus and gases from draining out of the sinuses. Patients may feel congested, pressure, headache, or pain. Balloon sinuplasty has ben available for <2> here.

I am a board certified allergist, and I do not do balloon sinuplasty. It should only done by board certified otolaryngologists (ENTs). At present, I do not have any patients who have had this procedure, so I can't say if it was well tolerated and effective. In principle, it sounds less invasive than FESS. This I like. However, long-term data, >5 years out, is lacking at this time. Well, I personally wouldn't want to do any kind of surgery twice. If you are considering sinus surgery, be sure to ask about this option. This is what I shared with my patient.

Disclaimer: I have no relationship with Acclarent or any ENT physicians.

No comments:

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.
 
My Zimbio Medicine Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory