Sunday, August 3, 2008

Yoga and asthma

A good and neutral overview of yoga can be found at the U.S. government's site for the National Center for the Study of Complementary and Alternative Medicine. In 2007, a U.S. government-sponsored, multi-disciplinary panel of experts published "Expert Panel Report 3: Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Asthma". On pages 241-2, breathing techniques, relaxation techniques, and yoga were reviewed. None of these techniques were recommended as a tretment for asthma due to insufficient evidence. My own review of the articles available on PubMed concluded similarly that there was insufficient data at this time to support the routine use of yoga to control asthma. That being said, I think that every individual could benefit from the breathing exercises included in most forms of yoga. I do breathing exercises myself every day. I recommend that each person set aside 15 minutes each day to breathing exercises.

No comments:

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.
 
My Zimbio Medicine Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory